Management of radioactive waste, that is the treatment, conditioning
and disposal of the waste, is a critical issue for nuclear power plants,
reprocessing plants and facilities that handle radioactive materials.
In fact, the importance of radioactive waste management has increased
more than ever recently. JGC offers solution services based on expertise
and experience accumulated through extensive engineering services in the
design and construction of radioactive waste treatment facilities and
reprocessing plants. For the further promotion of overseas expertise in
this key area and the optimization of international collaboration, JGC
has also signed technical cooperation agreements with ANDRA of France
and EWN of Germany, with such information sharing being duly reflected
in the solution services Offered by JGC.
- Technical Support for Radioactive Waste Characterization and Establishment
of Waste Disposal Technical Criteria
JGC supports nuclear power enterprises through providing technical services
in the following areas:
- Evaluation and characterization of radioactive waste generated
during operation or during the decommissioning of nuclear power
plants and reprocessing plants.
- Establishment of technical criteria for the radioactive waste
- Approval of specification for the returnable residue arising from
overseas reprocessing in the U.K. and France.
- Technical Support for Design/Economical Evaluation/Safety Assessment
of Disposal Facilities
JGC has accumulated extensive knowledge and experience in the radioactive
waste management field through the following services provided:
- Conceptual design and safety assessment for low-level radioactive
waste disposal facilities.
- Study of concept for the regulatory framework and geological disposal
facilities of high-level radioactive waste.
- Development of safety assessment methods and preparation of related
- Radioactive Waste Management System
JGC provides its extensive knowledge from software services to hardware
services to support JGC's clients in the construction of treatment facilities
and the establishment of radioactive waste management systems. The following
factors are considered in proposing optimum methods for the treatment
and disposal of radioactive waste:
- Characteristics of the waste and the conditions of the disposal
- Compliance with applicable regulations and public acceptance.
- Economic efficiency from an overall nuclear power business perspective.
- Research and development in treatment and disposal technologie